Monday, January 11, 2010

A Piano: The Collection - Tori Amos



Oh my God, there is so much music here I don't even know where to start. Yes Jeanne, 5 CDs is a lot to take in!

My husband gave this to me for Christmas and it wasn't easy to find! I just LOVE the packaging for this collection, look how gorgeous.



It even has Bösendorfer written on the side, which Tori has named the best piano in the world. These pianos follow Tori everywhere!













“All I knew was -- when I touched her -- that she became my friend. And it's not as if it were one piano, it's any Bösendorfer seems to have some kind of um, understanding. They can speak, and they can listen. And I think, when you play them, you become an extension. They give you the opportunity to, anyway. If you don't choose to have a relationship -- an affair -- with them, then that is your loss, I guess.” -Tori Amos

I've never played on a Bösendorfer but I hope to some day. You know, when I'm rich and can afford a 9 foot grand piano!! *drooling*

This collection has everything including 10 previously unreleased tracks along with some alternate takes of a few Tori classics. There are 5 CDs with 86 tracks and it also includes a book about the songs and albums.

It even had a few songs the I have NEVER heard before:

Flying Dutchman
Take Me With You
If I Walk To Dublin
Not David Bowie
Zero Point
Dolphin Song
Ode To My Clothes

Here's the complete tracklist:

Disc A








1. Leather (Alternate Mix)
2. Precious Things (Alternate Mix)
3. Silent All These Years
4. Upside Down
5. Crucify (Unedited Single Version)
6. Happy Phantom
7. Me And A Gun
8. Flying Dutchman (Alternate Mix)
9. Girl
10. Winter
11. Take To The Sky (Russia)
12. Tear In Your Hand
13. China
14. Sweet Dreams
15. Mother (Alternate Mix)
16. Little Earthquakes


Disc B








1. Cornflake Girl
2. Honey
3. Take Me With You
4. Baker Baker (Alternate Mix)
5. Waitress (Alternate Mix)
6. Pretty Good Year
7. God
8. Cloud On My Tongue
9. Past The Mission (Alternate Mix)
10. Bells For Her
11. Yes Anastasia (Alternate Mix)
12. Blood Roses
13. Mr Zebra
14. Caught A Lite Sneeze (Alternate Mix)
15. Professional Widow (Merry Widow Version – Live)
16. Beauty Queen/Horses
17. Father Lucifer
18. Marianne


Disc C








1. Walk To Dublin (Sucker Reprise)
2. Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version)
3. Professional Widow (Armand’s Star Trunk Funkin’ Mix)
4. Putting The Damage On
5. Bliss (Remixed Version)
6. Suede
7. Glory Of The 80s
8. 1000 Oceans
9. Concertina (Single Remix Version)
10. Lust
11. Datura
12. Sugar (Live from sound check)
13. Waitress (Live)
14. Snow Cherries From France
15. Doughnut Song (Remixed Version)


Disc D








1. Sorta Fairytale
2. Not David Bowie
3. Amber Waves
4. Iieee (Remixed Version)
5. Playboy Mommy (Remixed Version)
6. Beekeeper
7. Jackie's Strength
8. Zero Point
9. Sweet The Sting
10. Ode To My Clothes
11. Spark
12. Intro Jam/Marys Of The Sea
13. Cruel (Remixed Version)
14. Dolphin Song
15. Gold Dust


Disc E








1. Pool
2. Never Seen Blue
3. Daisy Dead Petals
4. Beulah Land
5. Sugar
6. Cooling
7. Bachelorette
8. Black Swan
9. Mary (Tales Version)
10. Peeping Tommi
11. Toodles Mr Jim
12. Fire Eater's Wife/Beauty Queen (Demo)
13. Playboy Mommy (Demo)
14. Sorta Fairytale (Demo)
15. This Old Man
16. Purple People
17. Here In My Head
18. Hungarian Wedding Song
19. Merman
20. Sister Janet
21. Home On The Range
22. Frog On My Toe


If you are a Tori Lover, this boxed set IS A MUST! What are you waiting for?

1 comments:

Jeanne said...

Pooba,

Oh my God is right! I distinctly remember when I first got the boxed set. I didn't want to do anything else but listen to it. Isn't it amazing? She is beyond amazing. Her music is beyond words.

What a nice husband you've got there.

He hunted down the boxed set for you, huh? Little did you know the music company version was discontinued, huh? (The import version is still available).

The import is the version my husband got me. It's awesome! I'm afraid mine doesn't have the pretty case that yours does. (I had been dreaming about the version you have after seeing pictures of it). It's gorgeous.

When my husband got the boxed set for me for our 11th wedding anniversary, he ordered the import version.

At that time, the regular manufacturer version was still available but he didn't realize it. (My poor honey spent more on the import version. So, I was careful not to express any disappointment in the fact that I didn't get the one in the piano case like you have).

I'll have to compare the songs you've listed here to the ones I have but I'm almost certain (from research I did months ago) that the regular and import versions were the same exact thing with the exception of packaging.

I think the only reason my husband paid more for the import version was probably the fact that it had to be transported overseas.

In any event, I know how you feel discovering those Tori songs that are not on other CDs. I have all her CDs and it was exciting to get the boxed set since it has those extras that were not previously released.

That Bösendorfer quote is classic. Any serious Tori fan knows how she feels about Bösendorfers. :)

So, back to the CD case. Is the top part where the keys are 3D? It looks 3D in the picture. Do the "piano keys" stick up? My daughter just looked at the picture and she's wondering too. I told her I don't know but that I would ask.

While affording a Bösendorfer is a lofty goal, maybe you can find a way to play one someday. I don't know how that would work but I suppose all it would take is being near one in an environment where you have an opportunity to ask permission to "take it for a spin". (OK, that might be dreaming)...

Hmm. I just looked at the Bösendorfer website to try to find prices on them... just for kicks.

Here's the Bösendorfer site. (Notice Tori's Midwinter Graces displayed on their site?) She's probably their best advertiser. :)

Anyway, I looked on the site for quite awhile and was initially unable to find any prices for their pianos. (This reminded me of those restaurants that are so expensive that they don't bother listing prices on the menu. I've never been to one like that myself but my husband went, before we were married, to one in New York City).

Anyway, the link above has a video. If you scroll down you'll see it. Notice the title on this YouTube video? Yes, the woman in this video is playing a million dollar piano.

On second thought, I'm not sure you want to get your hopes up for taking a piano like that for a spin. You might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree that this boxed set is a MUST for Tori lovers. I had to wait awhile for mine. (Obviously, buying a boxed set is pricier than just buying a single CD).

I have to say, though, that A Piano: The Collection - Tori Amos was so, so, so worth the wait. It is one of my most treasured possessions. I just love Tori!

Jeanne

P.S. Thanks for the linkback. You rock!